Here are 8 tips on being a little bit more deaf aware for Deaf Awareness Week 2021. It’s great for everyday life and casual situations. If you regularly work with Deaf or hard of hearing people maybe look into something more structured such as the course we do at appa.
- Face the person while you are speaking, don’t turn away
- Repeat yourself if necessary
- Never say ‘It doesn’t matter’ If the person doesn’t understand you, don’t give up!
- Write it down or draw a picture
- Speak one at a time, don’t talk over each other
- Keep your mouth visible
- Smile and relax
- Don’t speak too quickly or too slowly
Deaf and hard of hearing people just want to take part in the world around them and a few moments of consideration is all that they need. In this thing called life, we’re in this all together so lend a fellow human a hand and become deaf aware!
appameltd #deaf #bsl #daw2021 #comingthroughittogether #access #accessibility